John O. Knowlton - Judge
Kristian E. Hedine - Judge
317 W. Rose Street
Walla Walla, WA 99362


Contact Information
Phone  509-524-2760
Fax        509-524-2775
Office Hours 9:00AM - 4:00 PM
Monday - Friday




The small Claims Department of the District Court can be used for the recovery of money only where the amount claimed does not exceed $5000.00.


This brochure is intended to be a general statement of Small Claims procedure.  For more detailed information, please consult applicable provisions in the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) Chapters 3.66, 4.28, 12.40, and applicable provisions in the Civil Rules for Courts of Limited Jurisdiction, Rule 5 (CRLJ 5).  RCW’s and court rules can be found at libraries and the following websites: www.leg.wa.gov (for RCW’s) and www.courts.wa.gov  (for court rules).

For More Information
If you have any questions about civil or small claims, please refer to the Washington Courts website.


Any individual, business, partnership or corporation may bring a Small Claims suit, for the recovery of money only.  A Small Claims suit must be filed tin there county of the Defendant’s residence, or in the case of a traffic accident, the county where the accident occurred.  


There is a $14.00 filing fee paid by the Plaintiff to the Clerk at the time suit is filed.  In addition you will have fees payable to the Sheriff or Process Server to have the Small Claims form served.  You will be given a Small Claims form that you will prepare.  On the form and answer date will be entered by the Clerk.  It is the Plaintiff’s responsibility to accurately identify the Defendant, provide a proper address and, if possible provide a phone number.  The Defendant may counterclaim against the Plaintiff for any money he believes the Plaintiff owes him, but this must be done immediately in writing upon being served the Small Claims form.  Defendant shall pay a $24.00 filing fee to the clerk upon filing a counterclaim. 


It is the Plaintiff’s responsibility to see that the claim form is served upon the Defendant.  If suing more that one party, you must tell the Sheriff’s Department and /or Process Server to have both parties served.  You may use any of the following:

  • The Sheriff’s Office-Civil Department.
  • A Process Server.
  • Any person of legal age (18) who is not connected with the case either as a witness or as a party.
  • By mailing a copy to the Defendant by Certified Mail with a “Return Receipt Requested”. With mail service, you must file the postal receipt as well as the green card with the Defendant’s signature with the court.
  • You personally cannot serve the Small Claims form. 


Notice of Claim may be served on Defendant not less then 10 (Ten) days before the answer date.  It is Plaintiff’s responsibility to file proof of service, or mail return-receipt with the court on/or before the time of trial or to request a Judgment. 


The Defendant must serve a counterclaim on the plaintiff by personal service or by first class regular mail.



It is recommended that either the Plaintiff or the Defendant contact the other party prior the trial to try to settle you differences.  If your claim is settled before trial, please notify the Court in writing so the case may be dismissed.  Please include the case number.



The trial in the Small Claims Court is between the Plaintiff and the Defendant and no attorneys are allowed to represent either side except in certain cases where advance permission is obtained from the Judge.  Both parties must prepare their cases and bring those witnesses or other evidence such as documents, receipts, records, photographs, or drawings to court to support their claim or defense.  Court procedures when presenting your case apply, even though the hearing is informal. 

If the Defendant fails to answer or fails to appear for trial, the Plaintiff will be granted a Default Judgment for the amount of the claim proved in Court, plus Court costs-provided the Plaintiff can show proof of service.  If Plaintiff fails to appear, the Claim is dismissed:  however, generally the Court will permit the Plaintiff to start over, if good cause for the non-appearance us shown.



A money Judgment in your favor does not necessarily mean that the money will be paid.  FOR THE SMALL CLAIMS COURT DOES NOT COLLECT THE JUDGMENT YOU.   If no Appeal is taken and the Judgment is not paid within 30 (thirty) days of the time set by the Court in the payment plan, upon your request and payment of $5.00, you will receive a Certified Judgment.  You may request (in writing) that the Certified Judgment be entered in the Civil Docket at the cost of $73.00 which cost shall be added in your Judgment against the Judgment Debtor.  At that time you may proceed with a method of collection such as garnishment of wages, bank accounts and other monies of the Defendants or an execution may be issued on cars, boats, or other personal property of the Judgment Debtor.  Remember, the Clerks CAN NOT give you LEGAL ADVICE.  You may wish to consult an Attorney or a Collection Agency at this point.  In the alternative, upon amount of $20.00, you will receive a Transcript of Judgment which you can file in the Superior Court for a fee $ 20.00.  When this is done, it places a lien against all real estate in the name of the Judgment Debtor which is located in that County.    



No appeal is allowed from a Judgment where the amount claimed was less that $250.00.  No appeal shall be permitted by the Plaintiff where the amount claimed was less that $1000.00.  If an appeal is taken to the Superior Court, the appealing party is required to follow the procedures set out in Justice Court Civil rule 73.  The following steps must be taken WITHIN 30 DAYS from entry of Judgment:

  • Prepare a written Notice of Appeal.
  • Serve a copy of that Notice on the other parties, and file an acknowledgment or Affidavit of Service in the District Court.
  • File an original of that Notice of Appeal at District Court.
  • Pay to the District Court a $40.00 Appeal and transcript fee.
  • Deposit at the District Court a $230.00 Superior Court Filing Fee either with money order or cashier’s check payable to the Clerk of the Superior Court.
  • Execute and file with District Court a bond with surety approval by the District Court (except in cases where the appellant is a City, County, Town or School District) such bond must be in the amount of twice the Judgment and conditioned that appellant will pay therefore the Judgment, including costs as may be ordered on Appeal WITHIN 10 DAYS of the date of filing the Notice of Appeal, the District Court Clerk will fill the transcript and all process, exhibits, tapes of recording, and other papers relating to the case, at the Superior Court who will assign a new number and notify the District Court.  The District Court will advise the appellant of that number, and the appellant must then contact the Superior Court for further instructions. 



The Clerks and other Court personnel ARE NOT PERMITTED to give you LEGAL ADVICE as to any aspect of your case.  It is against the law do so.  They will provide you with the Notice of Small Claims and certain other basic forms, and they will file these for you and set a date for your trial.  

THE CLERKS CANNOT FILL THESE FORMS OUT FOR YOU and they cannot answer legal questions or give instructions as to the conduct of your case.  While an attorney is not permitted to represent you at the trial of Small Claims action, he or she may provide you with assistance in preparing your case and/or in collecting any Judgment which may be obtained.  Depending on your experience and the nature of your case, therefore, it may be advisable to seek the assistance of trained legal counsel.