Burns and Fireworks

Effective 7/15/2024: Due to high wildfire danger due to the dry and hot conditions burning is banned until further notice in Walla Walla County. - https://www.dnr.wa.gov/burn-restrictions
Contact Information: 
Residential Burn Decision Line: 509-524-2612. Please call after 9:30 AM daily.
Department of Ecology: Agricultural Burn Decision Line: 1-800-406-5322
Burn Control Zone Map: - County-Wide Map

For questions, please contact us at 509-524-2610

Burn Information:
Each weekday the Washington State Department of Ecology monitors weather conditions and makes a Daily Burn Decision for agricultural burns.  Ecology then notifies the local Burn Control Officer who reviews the Ecology decision, considers/monitors local conditions, and makes a Daily Burn Decision for residential burn permit holders.  Burning is permitted when conditions will allow smoke to rise fast and dissipate rapidly.  The local decision may be different from the Ecology decision. Department of Ecology Learn Before You Burn, Did you know? Illegal Materials, and Quema de Barriles. Sabia Que?
Requirements for all burning in Walla Walla County:
  1. Only natural vegetation can be burned in ANY outdoor fire.
  2. Someone must be monitoring the fire at all times with a water source available significant to control the burn.
  3. If any fire creates a public safety hazard, or nuisance, or interferes with the right of a person to enjoy their property, it must be extinguished immediately.
Residential Burn Permit Applications
Residents applying for the first time must provide a completed application form (Residential Burn Permit Application).
  1. Email a scanned copy to permits@co.walla-walla.wa.us, we will call to collect payment over the phone with a credit or debit card.
  2. Mail or via Dropbox location at Community Development Department office (310 W. Poplar, Suite 200).
    • Submit the application and a check  to the above address; if no check is provided, we will call to collect payment over the phone with a credit or debit card.
Residential Burn Permit Renewals
Burn permit holders may renew (no paperwork needed) by emailing permits@co.walla-walla.wa.us or by calling 509-524-2610 to pay over the phone with a credit or debit card.

Information on Burns, Fireworks, and Permits:
Please review the dropdown materials below:

Residential Burns (+ Permit)

Agricultural Burns (+ Permit Info)

Bonfires (+ Permit)

Burn Barrels (Illegal)

Fence Line & Tumbleweed Burns

Recreational Burns


Fireworks Stands