Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for a Building Permit

What do I need to submit to get a building permit?
Different building projects have different requirements (for instance, a permit to build a single-family home requires far more extensive plans, fees, and inspections than a permit to re-roof a single-family home). Reviewing the main Building Page will provide a great introduction of this process. The County has informational pamphlets detailing the requirements for virtually every kind of building project. The best way for you to answer this question is to review the pamphlet for the project you have in mind. If that doesn't do it, call or ask the Building Inspection staff or submit a Preapplication Meeting Request form.

How much does a permit cost?
Once the criteria for a complete application have been reviewed the application will be converted into a Building Permit and an application fee of ($200) will be required. Permit fees vary depending on the type of permit. The Permit Coordinator can usually provide you with an estimate of the fees for your residential project. You should speak to the Building Official for a commercial project. 

What are the requirements for plans? Must I have an architect prepare my plans?
Refer to our Plan Review Checklist included in each application. Your drawings must be legible and complete enough to describe accurately how you will accomplish the proposed work. When plans are required for a permit, they must be drawn to  scale on 11” x 17” minimum or larger paper. For minor projects such as small decks, kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling, and even some small additions, you do not need an architect.  However, if you are unfamiliar with drawing techniques, construction codes, symbols, or terminology, you should consider obtaining the services of a qualified draftsperson. 

What happens after I apply for a permit?
Once the criteria for a complete application have been reviewed the application will be converted into a Building Permit and an application fee of ($200) will be required.  Once that is paid, the permit then moves into The Community Development staff reviews. Your proposal may include several other outside departments' reviews as well:
  • Environmental Health (Septic)
  • Public Works (Access, Addressing & Stormwater)
  • Public Utilities
  • State Agencies
  • Federal Agencies

This process can be up to 45 days to complete.  Other factors may affect this, and push your timeline out.  Once you have made any required changes and all departments have given their approvals, you will be sent an email regarding fees owed. Once your permit is paid in full you will receive “Review Construction Documents to Print” which must be at the project site location and a list of required inspections.

Why does it take so long to issue my permit?
We review permits on a first-come, first-served basis. Upon submittal of a permit your application will undergo a preliminary review or screening process, which may take up to five business days, to identify anything incomplete according to the Plan Review Checklist and confirm application completeness. If for some reason while in the review process we find issues with documents you submitted, and you have to make changes and resubmit, you will go to the end of the line of the current submitted applications.

The length of time it takes to process a permit depends on the type of permit you are applying for and your property's location. If your property is within an area that is subject to certain discretionary planning permits, such as Critical Area Review, Wildlife Habitat, or similar planning permits, your processing time will increase. The volume of permits in process and the complexity of your project can also affect processing time. 

How long is my building permit valid for?
Your permit is valid for 180 days from the date of issuance.  Every time you get a passing inspection, your permit is extended another 180 days.  All requests for extension must be submitted in written form and state the reason why you are requesting the extension. Failure to obtain an inspection or an extension will result in the expiration of your permit.  There are instances where you can renew your expired permit upon request and payment of a percentage of the original building permit fees based on the amount of work completed.  Extension Requests can be found under Building>Building Permit Applications and Handouts>Extension Request. 

  • Large projects such as new residences and additions are valid for 180 days and can receive extensions for up to two years or the Building Officials discretion.
  • Projects such as a deck, water heaters, re-siding or re-roof and similar permits are also valid for 180 days and may be eligible for extensions as well depending on the circumstance.

In addition to the term limits associated with a permit, you must also obtain an approved inspection at least every 180 calendar days. This inspection must be able to demonstrate substantial progress in one or more of the major trades. If for any reason you are unable to have a valid progress inspection, you must request an extension "prior" to the expiration of your permit.

How do I get a Title Elimination on a Manufactured Home? 
In order for Walla Walla County to process Title Elimination, there must be a finaled permit on file to place the MFH on the property. In order for Walla Walla County to process Title Elimination Building Permit Office Certification, you must provide us with the following:

  • Manufactured Home Application form (from the Washington State Department of Licensing)
  • What year was the MH placement permit taken out?
  • What was the name of the person who applied for the placement permit?
  • $50 processing fee, plus 3% tech fees, payable to Walla Walla County – no fee required if permit obtained within current and/or last year

Are there any additions?   (Addition Conditions)
If YES, all self-supporting additions must have had the proper building permits issued and given final approval by Walla Walla County.  For additions and/or alterations that are partially supported by the manufactured home, proper permits must have been issued and approved by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries.

All manufactured homes built before June 15, 1976 must be approved and certified by the Department of Labor and Industries (L&I) to fire and life safety standards.  After L&I certification, the appropriate tag will be affixed to the home.  These tags are normally red in color with the F/S symbol.  Proof of the acceptance and certification must be submitted and approved by Walla Walla County before a placement permit will be issued and before a home manufactured prior to June 15, 1976 shall be permitted to enter this County.
If a permit was obtained but never received a final inspection approval, and if all of the above conditions are met, a Compliance Permit must be obtained.
Compliance permit procedures:

1)    Complete Application with $50.00 Compliance Permit Fee and Tech fee.  
2)   An inspection of the home is required
3)   After the home receives final inspection approval, the Manufactured Home Application form can be signed
4)   $25.00 Title Elimination Processing Fee plus tech fee.

If no building permit was ever obtained and if applicable, the Addition Conditions have been met, a building permit must be obtained.  The $25.00 Title Elimination fee and the $50.00 Compliance fee is waived.

For more information, please refer to WAC 308-56A-505 

Once a final inspection is completed, you may submit Title Elimination paperwork to us for signature.  
Building>Building Permit Applications and Handouts>Manufactured Home (Factory Built Structure) 

A few Pointers for successfully submitting a permit application:
Check with a Planner in our office to verify your setbacks, and to see if there are any restrictions on your property prior to submitting your application.

  • Turn in your application for Addressing and Access (driveway) to County Public Works – 990 Navion Lane.  If you have questions, call 509-524-2710.
  • Turn in your application for Septic to Environmental Health – 310 W Poplar St, Suite 114.  If you have questions, call 509-524-2650.
  • Make sure all the blanks are filled in. They wouldn’t be there if we didn’t need the information.  If you have a question about the application ask the Permit Coordinator, the Building Inspector, or the Planner, and anyone of them can assist you.
  • Check off the items on the checklist.  It is there to help you organize your application.  If you don’t include something that is on the checklist it could hold up approval of your application.
  • Your parcel number can be found on your property tax statement.  It is 12 digits long.  If you can’t find it, call the Assessor’s office at 509-524-2560 and they can find it for you.
  • If you have a commercial project, you should have a pre-application meeting, – Contact a Planner to set one up.  Review and select the Preapplication Meeting option within the Technical Review Committee Meeting Application .
  • Check with a building inspector if you have any design questions.  They can’t design it for you, but they can give you very good information.  This too could prevent any delays in the approval of your application.
Applying for a Project Permit

When is a License Required for Businesses in Unincorporated Walla Walla County?
Anyone looking to open a business in Unincorporated Walla Walla County should visit the Planning & Building Department and find out if their proposed business will require a License or Home Occupation permit. Some business uses are restricted by the Zoning designations for a particular land or building site. Businesses can be cited if the appropriate Permit or license has not been obtained. Go to the Planning & Building Division site for contact information and office hours.

General Land Use Questions
How do I find my property lines?
This can be difficult, but we have a few tips:

  • First, review your deed. This is the only accurate description of your property. If your tract of land is within a subdivision known as a recorded plat map, then please request this record through the Auditor’s Office – Vault at 509-524-2549
  • In rural areas, or in other areas where there may not be a regular lot pattern, you may have to reference an existing survey, or obtain a partial or full survey from a licensed land surveyor, or civil engineer.
  • Fence lines are not necessarily a good indicator of property lines, and should not be relied upon for drawing plans and determining setbacks.
  • If in doubt, hire a licensed land surveyor.  Depending on the type of project you are proposing, you may need to obtain a full or partial boundary survey of your property for submittal with a planning or building permit application. 

How can I find out about an easement on my property?
You can review your title report or search in the County Auditor’s Office – Vault at 509-524-2549

What do I need to do in order to have a well on my property?
The Department of Ecology has two searching options for landowners shown below. If you can not find what you are looking for please contact the Regional Office at 509-329-3400.

Map Search

Search for well reports by navigating a Washington State map.

Text Search

Search for well reports using information you key in or select from a list.

Please Note: Water well locations within this site are not exact locations. Please read the Disclaimer.

If your property is in an unincorporated high-density area (zoned for one or more residences per 10 acres), and your well will be drawing water from the shallow/gravel aquifer, you will be allowed up to 1,250 gallons per day of ground water for in-house domestic purposes only.  Please visit our department to pick up a packet that more extensively describes this requirement.  You may also call the Watershed Partnership at:  (509) 524-5216. 

Code Compliance - Submissions
Who is responsible for monitoring violations of the County Zoning Regulations and Nuisance Ordinances?
The Code Compliance Officer investigates suspected violations.  After each investigation in which the Code Compliance Officer determines that a violation exists, the officer issues a Notice of Violation and Order to abate to the property owner. 

Can I report a violation to the County’s Code Compliance Officer?
Anyone can report what they believe to be a code violation.  You can report a violation in writing or by email to the department or through our website @ You may also submit a
 Code Violation Compliant Form.

Can I report a violation anonymously?
You can request that your name be withheld from the person violating the code.  However, should that person file a public record request your name may not be redacted from the record. 

What happens after they issue a notice?
What happens depends on the type of violation. If the officer finds that someone is in violation, the officer issues an abatement order. The officer then discusses a reasonable timeline to abate the violation with the owner, typically 10 – 90 days, depending on severity. If not abated by that time, the Officer may issue citations for public nuisance violations. For zoning violations, the Officer may refer the matter to the County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office. The Prosecuting Attorney may file suit against the violator. However, if the officer believes the problem to be a civil matter, then you may be told to contact an attorney to assist you. 

Can I appeal a notice or abatement order?
You cannot appeal a notice that you are violating zoning regulations.  You can appeal an abatement order by filing a written request for a hearing with the officer who ordered the abatement. Who considers the appeals? The County’s Hearing Examiner hears appeals involving violations of the County’s codes.

Whom do I call if I have questions?
Call the Code Compliance Officer at (509) 524-2624. If the Officer is out of the office or on inspections, you may request that the Code Compliance Officer return your call.  Phone messages are checked every weekday. 

Public Record Requests
How do I get copies of building records for my property?
Public Record Requests must be sent to the Walla Walla County Public Records Officer using this portal
  • Many records are digitized and available for review 24/7 through accessing the online WWC permitting system, eTRAKiT. There are walk through instructions to help you find out if there are any records on your property; if so, they are available to print or email.
  • For more detailed records - particularly for construction since 1988- you may submit a public records request using the linked portal information above
Do I need a permit to trim or cut down a tree?
Generally, no.  But if the tree is in a street right-of-way you will need to first contact the County Public Works. Department at (509) 524-2710.  If it is located within a critical area or shoreline (e.g. creek, wetland, fish and wildlife area, buffer or protection zone, geologically hazardous area), you will likely need a permit.  Contact CDD to discuss removal of trees or vegetation within a critical area regulated under Chapter 18.08 of the County Code.

What is the setback for a residential fence? How tall can the fence be?

General requirements for fencing can be reviewed within WWCC 17.24.010. When referring to a “front, side and rear yard” setback your properties zoning designation must be known which can be located within WWCC 17.18.020. For example, if on the Table of Density and Dimensional Requirements your property is zoned Rural Residential-5, the front yard setback is 30’ which means, “solid fences a maximum of forty-two inches high are permitted in front yards…”. The fence must be setback 30’ or out of the front yard setback for it to be constructed any higher than the referenced forty-two inch height restriction.