Immunizations and Travel Medicine

immunization pic antigens 1980 2017

Flu Season

Influenza season is here. Activity has picked up. If you haven’t gotten your flu shot, do it now.  For the most current information on Washington State’s influenza status, click on "Weekly Influenza Update" from the Washington State Department of Health, or compare with CDC’s "Weekly Influenza Update." If you’re interested in what the world, not just Washington and the US, is doing to combat influenza, read about WHO’s agenda.

  • Your doctor's office has received their shipments! Call them for an appointment.
  • Visit Providence Express Care in College Place by Walmart, 1705 SE Meadowbrook St, or out in the Eastgate Plaza near Albertsons and Staples, 509 N Wilbur Ave. Call 888-227-3312 to reserve your time slot so you don’t have to wait. Insurance can be billed, or they are usually about $30.
  • The pharmacies in Albertsons, BiMart, Rite Aid, both Safeways, Walgreens, and Walmart, and Elk Drug in Dayton, all offer seasonal flu shots for ages 7 and up, and can bill insurance. FYI: Molina insurance will not work at Walgreens.
  • Kids can get a flu shot from the health department. Call 509-524-2650 for an appointment.

More questions? Call our nurse at 509-524-2650.

Vaccine Hesitancy
At the Department of Community Health, we understand how important family is. Concerns about vaccines are real and scary. Vaccine hesitancy should be fully addressed and fears allayed as best as possible. If you are interested in learning more about mercury, thimerosal, autism, developmental and speech delays, and vaccines, as well as accessing the latest research, click here . For a video illustrating how vaccination affects the community and beyond, click here . Vaccines are not perfect, but they are the best tool we have to prevent death and disability in our populations of the future, starting with yourself and your family right here in Walla Walla County.
More questions? Our nurse can answer additional questions at 509-524-2650.

Vaccines for 0-18
Routine immunizations are given at your child’s doctor’s office during yearly well child checkups. Community Health would like to encourage families to establish care for their children at a healthcare provider. Learn more about signing up for health insurance, establishing with a doctor, and our local clinic services on our Community Resources page.
Check the vaccine schedule to see where your child is at: Vaccines for 19 and Over
If you are not sure you are up to date, click here to see and print your immunization records, if they are on file in Washington. Not sure or can’t find what you need online? Call the Department of Community Health at 509-524-2650 to ask.
Vaccines for adults with and without insurance are available at all our local pharmacies including Elk Drug in Dayton, and with the exception of Tallmans. Pharmacies usually take your insurance, too, if you have it. If you’re not sure how to proceed, or run into a barrier like a high price tag, call the Department of Community Health at 509-524-2650 to talk to our nurse about other options.

Vaccines for Pregnant Folks
There is a lot of amazing, cutting-edge research being done in this field as sicience learns more about how our immune system works. Vaccines before, during, and after pregnancy can protect yourself, your unborn child, the rest of your family, and the community. Which ones to get before? Which ones to avoid during pregnancy and which ones to have? Which ones to get after? Do household and family members need to get vaccinated too? Learn more here . If you have more questions, call the Department of Community Health at 509-524-2650.

Travel Medicine
While we do not have a travel clinic at this time, the Department of Community Health is happy to assist you with any questions regarding travel medicine. Call the Department of Community Health at 509-524-2650 to speak with our nurse. Benton-Franklin Health District in Tri-Cities has a certified travel medicine program and is occasionally able to bill insurance as well. For more information about their travel medicine options, call 509-460-4200 and push 1 for immunizations to speak with someone.

Updated 12/30/19

Navigate to: