The fund is intended to aid in emergency circumstances. The following are eligible uses of Veterans’ Relief funds:
- Rental Assistance. To avoid eviction or to assist in obtaining temporary or permanent housing in Walla Walla County.
- Shelter. Shelter can be given for one night not to exceed 30 days,in the situation where a veteran cannot be placed at theChristian Aid Center or other Emergency Shelter. The situation must be analyzed to see if there is a plan in place to divert the veteran from homelessness.
- Background check. As needed to determine eligibility for employment or housing.
- Utility Assistance. Deposit, past due and shut off notices on residences within Walla Walla County.
- Food Assistance. Local food bank referrals will be given for applicants requesting food. However, in the event that food banks cannot be used, and the need is an emergency, vouchers may be issued in amounts that shall be calculated based on the United States Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Food Plan for the amount of food needed for the household for one week.
- Transportation related expense for work, medical appointments, etc. Medical and work appointments should be verified over the phone or through written note from the doctor or employer.
Minor vehicle repairs related to critical access. Vehicle repairs not to exceed $600 per year, which will enable a veteran to access critical education or employment programs with a pathway to earned income or for access to critical medical or health related transportation where public transit is not available.
Specialty equipment or fees. Specialized equipment, tools, clothing or fees for testing may be allowed in order for the veteran to gain access to education or employment opportunities. These specialized services shall be provided in collaboration with all other funding sources to assure these expenses facilitate a pathway to education or employment.
Clothing, for work or employment search.
County Burial of Indigent Deceased Veterans. All honorably discharged veterans and their spouses or state registered domestic partners who meet eligibility requirements under 38 C.F.R. Sec. 38.620 are eligible for interment in the eastern Washington state veterans' cemetery., who die without leaving means sufficient to defray funeral expenses will be eligible for up to $500 in assistance for a family member, and up to $1,000 for a veteran. See Attachment H for the Burial Assistance form.
Dental Assistance. There is a lifetime cap of $2000 per applicant that can be used for dental services. Only Veterans qualify for dental assistance and they must have a referral from a dentist to ensure there is a serious health need. Once the service has been used, it cannot be used again. This assistance can be given in additional to the disbursement limit.
Other. Other emergency requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- License and registration fees
- Insurance cost for one month, up to $200.
- Fuel vouchers to the co-op or Beeline will be issued in $10 increments.
- Bus tickets