For a gravity septic system, you should have it pumped and inspected every 3-5 years. All other types of septic systems should be inspected once a year. If you need a diagram showing where your septic system is located, you can contact the Walla Walla County Department of Community Health (WWCDCH) by phone at 509-524-2650 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pumping out and cleaning your septic tank
Before you hire a septic tank pumper you need to make sure they are licensed and approved by the WWCDCH. Here is a list of all the septic tank pumpers that are currently permitted with the WWCDCH.
Below are links to some helpful videos by the Washington State Department of Health about understanding and caring for your septic system:
- Septic 101: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/101SepticBasicsVideo
- Caring for your Septic System: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/CaringforYourSystem
- Do-it-Yourself septic system inspection: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/DoItYourselfInspectionVideo
- Hiring a Septic System Professional for pumping and maintenance: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/HiringaProfessional
- Septic Tank Lid Safety: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/LidSafety
- Signs of a Failure: https://www.doh.wa.gov/CommunityandEnvironment/WastewaterManagement/SepticSystem/SignsofFailure