Civil Processes

The Civil Unit accepts legal documents for service, such as Notices of Small Claim, dissolution, summons, and more. We will make several attempts at service, based on how much time we have to attempt service and our ability to locate the person you wish to have served.

Sheriff's Office Civil Fee Schedule (effective 08/03/2020)
Sheriff's Sale fees

Information Needed to Serve
To more effectively assist you, we will need to know information about the person(s) to be served. Information needed includes addresses, physical description, phone numbers, birth date, hazard information, service requirements, and the deadline for service. It is your responsibility to provide this information to our office. We are unable to attempt service without a valid, physical address. It is important to note that we do not guarantee service.

By filling out the Civil Process Information Sheet in advance and delivering it with the service paperwork to our office, you will save time and ensure we have all the information needed.

Protection Orders
Domestic Violence Protection Orders/Anti-Harassment Protection Orders/Sexual Assault Protection Orders

Per state law, these orders are to be served by the law enforcement agency where the respondent resides or works. For us, that means unincorporated Walla Walla County, and/or the cities that contract with WWSO for police services.

There is no fee associated with service of Domestic Violence Protection Orders or Sexual Assault Protection Orders. To obtain the fees for service of Anti-Harassment Protection Orders, please phone or visit our office.

How to obtain a protection order.

Additional resources are available at: 
Public Registration for VINE Protective Order     
Walla Walla County Jail Roster
Victim Information Notification Everyday - VINE
The National Domestic Violence Hotline

Writ of Restitution/Evictions
There are several steps to the eviction process, governed by the Landlord-Tenant Act of the State of Washington. Information about this process can be found in the Revised Code of Washington RCW 59.12RCW 59.18, and RCW 59.20.  

A landlord wishing to pursue an eviction should contact their attorney to do their own research on the process of eviction. Once the court issues the “Writ of Restitution” ordering that the Sheriff be involved in the action, the writ is served or posted at the residence in question and a move-out date is scheduled with the landlord. The tenant may move out at any time during the eviction process. However, if the tenant does not move out, the Sheriff’s Deputy assigned will then meet with the landlord at the date and times scheduled to enforce the writ and keep the peace. The landlord is responsible for providing a crew for moving the tenants’ belongings from the property and the supplies required to properly store the items. Once this is accomplished the residence is restored to the possession of the landlord. If the tenant wishes to have his/her property put into storage, they are now required to serve the landlords with a “Request for Storage of Property”. If this form is not served on the landlord prior to the scheduled move-out, the property of the tenant will be placed on the nearest right-of-way.

Additional resources:
Solid Ground - Tenant Services 1-206-694-6767
Washington State Court website for most civil forms
Free Eviction forms (Be aware that there are state and federal restrictions in place to prevent evictions for non-payment of rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic.)

If you've purchased real property and need a Sheriff's Deed, please review our requirements to make a Deed Request.

Writ of Execution/Order of Sale
For Writs of Execution, a bond will be required to indemnify the Sheriff's Office.  Please see RCW 36.28.050 pertaining to this requirement.  Please see RCW 6.17 and 6.21 for further laws pertaining to Writs of Execution for Real or Personal Property.