Public Records Request Form

The Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office is committed to responding to your request for public records in a timely manner.

Responding to Public Disclosure Requests

Within five business days (excluding holidays) after receiving a request, we will:

  • Provide the record(s); or
  • Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to respond; or
  • Deny the request in writing, stating the reasons for the denial (this could also include a denial of part of your request and a granting of the remainder).

Once the records have been collected, they will be sent to you. Any records or portion of records that are exempt from disclosure will be redacted. We will specify the exemption that applies to any redactions.For security and verification purposes, please be aware that you may need to pick up the materials in person.

What is the copying charge?

We charge 15 cents a page for documents and the actual costs for duplicating audiotapes, videotapes, photographs, and CDs, according to state law (RCW 42.56.070 (7) and (8) and RCW 42.56.120).

If you have any questions regarding our public records process, please contact our office at (509)524-5400 or by email at

Motor Vehicle Collisions

If you are involved an accident, call 9-1-1 for a police response. If the police complete a written report, you only need to contact your insurance company.

When to Complete an Accident Report

  • If your accident is NOT investigated by a police officer or sheriff’s deputy, AND
  • If there are injuries or the total damage exceeds $1,000, THEN
  • You need to file a report within 24 hours to the State Department of Motor Vehicles.

Obtaining a Copy of a Police Report

If you are seeking a copy of a police report regarding a traffic accident that you were involved in, you can contact us at (509) 524-5400.

You will be asked for the case number. If you do not know the case number, you will be asked for information such as the date and time of the accident, the location, and names of individuals involved.

Accident Report Forms

Request a copy of a collision report  from Washington State Patrol

Or, pick up a form at:

Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office
240 W. Alder Street
Walla Walla, WA 99362

Background Clearance Letters

A Background Clearance Letter is a document that contains information about your clean criminal record. These letters are sometimes needed when applying for a visa, other travel purposes, or when adopting a child.

The most effective way to get this information

is through Washington State Patrol’s WATCH system. The information provided by WATCH will include criminal history conviction information for the entire State of Washington, including Walla Walla County. Contact WSP at the following:

Otherwise, to receive a Clearance Letter for Walla Walla County ONLY:

You can receive this service in person by visiting our office at 240 W. Alder Street, Ste 101 Walla Walla, WA  99362. Expect this service to be completed in 5 business days, excluding Holidays.  If you need to request this information without coming to the office please make a written request which can be mailed to the address given above.

What You’ll Need:

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your current name
  • Any previous names or nicknames you’ve used
  • Your complete date of birth
  • Your current address
  • A phone number where you can be reached during our normal business hours
  • At your option, your social security number
  • A copy of your current ID (Washington State driver’s license or ID card preferred).

Payment and Fees

There may be a fee of $10.00 for each clearance letter plus a $5.00 per-document certification (notary) fee. Fees may be paid by cash, a personal check,  or money order. Personal checks or money orders should be made payable to the Walla Walla County Sheriff’s Office. Please note that we do not accept second party checks.

Personal Checks must be:

  1. Preprinted, listing name, address, and phone number.
  2. Verified by two (2) pieces of identification. One of these must be a Washington State Driver’s License or I.D. card with a photograph or a major credit card. The customer’s I.D and the information on the personal check must match.